Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Escape from Diab Chapter 1 Review

I was recently given access to chapter one of Escape from Diab. The game it self is tailored to a younger age group but I don't see children playing the game on their own free time. However, this doesn't mean that the game can't be beneficial. I can see this game being part of an elementary school's health curriculum for several reasons that are visible from the short chapter 1 section of the game. At the first playable section of the game, you control the main character, Deejay, as he escapes from King Etes' guards. To successfully avoid the guards Deejay must pick the healthiest vegetables out of the two displayed on the ground. Some of these can get a little tricky for a younger crowd as they throw in foods such as fried zucchini vs peas. Both are vegetables but one is healthier than the other based upon how they were prepared. This is done several times throughout the level.

The next section involves a questionnaire on how healthy you eat and drink, I'm assuming this information will be used later in the game to see how the player can improve. The next section is a meal food group balance, trying to have a snack that involves most of the food groups and proper serving size of each item in the snack. Hopefully this is repeated throughout the game to give kids ideas on new snacks that might have never tried before.

The last playable section in chapter 1 involves selecting a goal to better yourself and how fruits and vegetables can help you achieve that goal. There are a variety of choices to pick for each section and my screenshot just shows one combination. This goal setting section also includes an obstacle, which is realistic because who doesn't have obstacles when trying to achieve a goal. This section makes the player think about what maybe stopping them from choosing healthier lifestyles and how they can solve that problem. I feel this is a great feature in the game.

The chapter 1 demo also included a space invaders style game tailored to the setting of the game. I see this addition to be vital for a younger crowd because it gives them an activity that is more fun than the other activities in the game. Hopefully this is repeated in the other chapters.

Overall I feel that this game is a step in the right direction with trying to include technology in health education. This game might not be successful outside the classroom like the game Magi and the Sleeping Star has the potential to do. However, if used correctly in elementary health education classrooms I feel that Escape from Diab can get students hooked as they have fun with a computer game and learn at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Well done and written Tom. Would you use it while teaching Elementary PE & Health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could definitely see myself using this game if I was teaching a health class. When I get to the nutrition portion of the curriculum I can see myself inserting the game into the curriculum possibly after 2 days of lecture followed by a day of playing the game followed by another day of lecture and continue this until a majority of the class beats the game. I noticed when I was playing the game that at the end of the chapter your results are displayed as well as goals and other activities completed. I could have them print that screen shot out and use that information to drive a lecture to get the class to participate on healthy habits and changing bad habits. There are a handful of activities in the game that can lead to lessons and lectures for a health class and keep the students interested more at the same time, I would just have to be creative about it.

    In P.E. however I don't see myself using the game directly. In P.E. class I want to focus on movement,learning and refining skills among other things. Not sitting down and playing a video game. But since I now have some information about this game and several ideas on how to use it in the classroom I will work with the health teachers to try and get them to use it effectively.

    ReplyDelete